Message from Sir Ranulph Fiennes
We were both blown away this week when Paddy’s friend, Nick, presented him with a Sir Ranulph Fiennes book with a good luck message to us from the adventurer himself. Nick had been telling him about our expedition at an event and he wrote a quick message telling us to “Enjoy pedalling about!”.
We’re both rather humbled by such a nice message from a massive hero of ours and one of the most famous adventurers there is.
The book, ‘Beyond the limits’, is also proving a useful read as we plan for our trip, with some lessons that we’ll try to remember:
- It is easier to avoid fear than overcome it
- When packing your backpack in hot sunshine always include gear for a storm
- Be flexible most of the time, but remember that one option is to be inflexible some of the time
- Don’t relax too soon
- Aim high but start with caution
- There is a time and a place to go for it. Never waste a moment.
- Divide your targets up into a number of much smaller goals and then think of them only one at a time
- Watch out for the tempatation of lingering too long in a warm hut when your schedule is tight and the weather may change
Wise words indeed!